The biggest challenge with online study is to stay motivated and focused when you're at home. To help you do your best, we've put together 18 tips for successful online learning.
Follow these online study tips to succeed with your course. We asked hundreds of university students how they were able to study online effectively. The best and most popular answers were condensed into a list of 18 strategies.
If you follow every one of these tips, you'll develop fantastic habits over time. And, as you master study technique, you can almost be guaranteed to succeed with any online course you're interested in. The path to being a successful online learner is to do these things.
1. Be inspired
A drive to keep studying week after week is how you push through courses. The ultimate goal is what gives you energy and determination. Be inspired about what you're going to achieve and success will inevitably follow.
2. Be professional
Why have debates in your own mind about when you're going to study? That'll soon have you coming up with excuses not to. Treat study like a job – be professional – and you'll put in the required hours for sure.
3. Create a timetable
When are you going to find time to study online each week? Create a weekly timetable and the answer will be in front of you. The schedule needs to balance study with everything else. Remember, proper study can be time consuming.
4. Micro-manage time
Find yourself wasting away minutes or even hours on social media? Did you do everything else this week except finish the major assignment? Stop it. Manage time carefully. Set goals for each day and each hour within the day.
5. Study in blocks
Real progress is made when you got lost in your online program and think of nothing else. Deep immersion, full attention, knowledge acquisition. Achieving a good learning state takes more than 5 minutes. So set aside at least an hour at a time.
6. Find a quiet place
It may be fun to study in the loungeroom when everyone is watching TV. But are you really studying effectively? To properly focus on your subject, find a regular space and time where you can expect peace, quietness and solitude.
7. Use online resources
Online universities and colleges give you the tool to achieve study success. Why not use them? Take a little time to figure out exactly how to navigate through the different parts of the online interface. See what resources are available.
8. Break down tasks
Trying to absorb everything at once can lead to confusion and a sense of not making progress. Instead, you can break up your online course into bite-sized chunks. Focus on a small topic and master that before moving on.
9. Switch your brain on
Real learning requires mental engagement. You don't achieve that through passive reading or thoughtless note taking. Find ways to keep mentally engaged throughout the program (e.g. test your understanding after each chapter).
10. Take notes
With all your course content received online, you have it all recorded digitally. But it's still important to take notes. Jotting something down keeps you engaged, helps with retention, and will be useful for exams or assignments.
11. Browse with purpose
Much of your research and learning happens using the internet. To keep focus and create your own content, use flashcards or subject worksheets. When you find something useful on a topic, record it and make a note of the source.
12. Have fun
You're much more likely to put in solid hours studying if you generally enjoy it. If coffee or a little light music helps, go for it. Learning should be a rewarding activity in itself. Study for personal enrichment as well as to pass the online course.
13. Take breaks
To study efficiently and consistently, get in the habit of taking regular short breaks (5-10 minutes). Quick time-outs keep you fresh and allow you to put in longer hours. Walking the dog or tidying up may be preferable to frequent snack breaks.
14. Stay healthy
Paying a little attention to your health is good for your studies and good for you in general. Sleep is vital. Hydration is essential if you are consuming caffeine. Eating well gives you energy. Exercise makes you stronger and fitter.
15. Connect to classmates
The success of online courses often depends on communication between classmates. You can use each other for learning, motivation and support. To connect, join online discussions and make posts. You can also form a study group.
16. Ask questions
Good students understand how their online course works. They also achieve a solid grasp of every topic. These things don't happen just by chance. If you are ever struggling to figure something out on your own, just ask a question online.
17. Beat deadlines
There's nothing like an urgent deadline for motivation. The trouble is that leaving everything to the last minute costs you marks. If anything goes wrong, an assignment can be low quality or late. Allow time for good work and revision.
18. Reward yourself
Putting in solid hours of self-directed learning is an achievement. Working towards a qualification and a better career means something. So celebrate your milestones and successes with your online classes. You've earned a reward for discipline and effort.
Here are individual qualities and personality traits that will definitely help you succeed with online study.
- Organised. Effective time management and staying organised is essential for making the most of your online learning experience. Set goals, create a schedule, break down tasks, and avoid distractions.
- Adaptable. The ability to adapt to new technology, software, and learning environments is highly beneficial. Be open-minded, flexible, and willing to embrace new methods of learning.
- Communicative. Good communication skills are key to connecting with instructors, classmates, and others involved in the learning process. Be proactive and engaged, and collaborate effectively with others.
- Motivated. A strong drive to achieve your learning goals will power you forward. Set clear goals, stay focused, and have the determination to push through difficult subjects or assignments.
- Curious. A curious and inquisitive mind helps a student stay engaged and focused on their studies. It also helps in exploring new ideas, concepts, and perspectives that can deepen their understanding of the material.
- Goal-oriented. A clear sense of purpose and the motivation to reach your educational goals is essential when you study online. Set achievable and measurable goals and stay focused on the big picture.
You may think that many of these characteristics are innate and hard to change, which may be true to some extent. But we are all adaptable beings and, the more you try, the more you will hopefully evolve in good ways.
The best method for studying online varies from person to person. But here are some general tips that may help you achieve success in your online studies.
- Create a dedicated study space. A designated area for studying can help you stay focused and avoid distractions.
- Set a routine. Establish a regular study schedule to help you stay on track and make the most of your time.
- Stay organised. Use tools such as calendars, to-do lists, and note-taking apps to keep track of your assignments, due dates, and study materials.
- Get engaged. Don't bother studying unless you're switched on and actively learning. It can help to make notes and participate in online discussions.
- Take breaks. Regular breaks can help you stay focused and avoid burnout. Use this time to move around, stretch, or do something enjoyable.
Remember, everyone learns differently. Find what works best for you and be flexible in your approach. Keep trying until you find your study groove.