Learn the essentials of Project Management with our list of free online courses. Choose from university style, tutorials, or short courses.
1. University style
- Connected Leadership: Yale University
- Agile with Atlassian Jira: Atlassian
- How to Manage a Remote Team: GitLab
- Introduction to Project Management
- Project Management Techniques for Development Professionals
2. Online tutorials
- Budgeting and Scheduling Projects
- Initiating and Planning Projects
- Managing Project Risks and Changes
- Project Management: The Basics for Success
3. Short courses (skills training)
- Diploma in Modern Project Management Theory and Practice
- Diploma in Project Management
- Fundamentals of Project Management
- Introduction to Modern Project Management Theory and Practice
- Modern Project Management - Managing the Project Start-up, Scheduling and Budgeting
- Modern Project Management - Working with Clients and Project Teams
- Project Management - Project Feasibility and Life Cycle
- Project Management – Quality, Risk, Procurement and Project Closeout
Managing projects effectively requires extensive business skills and knowledge. We've listed specialised project management courses which are fully online and free.
You may also want to study free online courses on topics such as leading teams, business planning, and finance. These and many other business fields are relevant to project management.
Types of courses
University-style courses are online versions of the kinds of project management units you can study at university. They may have start and end dates. Providers such as Coursera and edX deliver free PM courses from institutions such as the University of Adelaide and University of Virginia.
Online tutorials explore topics such as project planning, execution, monitoring and controlling, and closing. The courses are typically self-paced and may include video lectures, interactive quizzes, and hands-on projects or case studies. They can be a great way to develop or enhance project management skills and knowledge.
Free short courses
Free short courses are a good option for quickly picking up some practical PM skills. They are self paced and allow you to quickly learn what you need to know. ALISON has several specialist project management courses.
How to use Coursera
Coursera offers two main ways of studying for free: Audit Only and Full Course, No Certificate. Many courses offer at least one of these options, especially the audit option.
With Audit Only, you get access to most of the course materials for free. While you can read course materials, you won't be able to submit certain assignments or receive grades for your work.
For the Full Course, No Certificate option, you get access to all course materials, submit required assessments, and receive a final grade, all for free. When browsing courses, these programs are the ones with a "Free" label.