A leadership and management diploma course gives you knowledge and skills to be a better manager and supervisor. You can study online for an accredited diploma from an Australian TAFE, college or university.
A Diploma of Leadership and Management can help advance your career in many ways. A key advantage is skill development and on-the-job productivity. You'll come away with insights, strategies and practical skills to perform at a higher level.
A business management qualification is important to qualify you for senior roles. Credentials gives you a clear advantage – or neutralise any disadvantage – compared to the competition.
Earning a diploma also shows employers that you're thinking about how to be a manager and know management techniques. You've learned how to approach organisational and leadership tasks in a structured way. The knowledge gained is especially handy for job interviews. You'll be more fluent in talking about leadership.
Good leadership courses are engaging. They make smart use of technology and connect theory to what managers do on a daily basis. We've chosen the best online courses based on features, flexibility and cost.
Edmund Barton College
The Diploma of Leadership and Management (BSB50420) from Edmund Barton College is a self-paced course that really delivers. You can construct your own course, with a good selection of elective units to choose from. There are no entry requirements and you can start any time. Graduates earn a nationally recognised qualification. Topics include planning, emotional intelligence, relationship building, performance management, budgeting and workplace safety.
Australian College of Commerce and Management
The Australian College of Commerce and Management has online courses in Leadership and Management at the Certificate IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma levels. Students gain access to an exceptional range of elective subjects. By studying with ACCM, you get strong student support services to help you succeed. These include a dedicated student adviser, the ability to study anytime, and choice about how you receive course content. Tuition fees are also competitive.
Studying online is the easiest way to gain a management and leadership diploma or similar award. You can complete a course 100% online from anywhere you like, such as home or work.
Learning about planning and strategy is the essence of management training. You can do this effectively on a digital platform.
Online courses cover the same topics as you would in a physical classroom. The programs are usually self-paced, meaning you work through content independently.
The courses are ideal for busy people who may be working full-time. Most people who study management and leadership don't have time to waste attending classes. Distance learning has become the preferred way to do management training in Australia.
As of 20 December 2022, BSB50420 is the latest training qualification for Australia that we call a "Diploma of Leadership and Management" in the Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector. The qualification is 12 units long, the same as existing versions.
For this diploma, your college may have a fixed set of units or allow you to choose from a wider selection. In total, the course consists of 6 core units and you have 26 electives to choose from.
The 6 core units for BSB50420 are:
- BSBCMM511 Communicate with influence
- BSBCRT511 Develop critical thinking in others
- BSBLDR523 Lead and manage effective workplace relationships
- BSBOPS502 Manage business operational plans
- BSBPEF502 Develop and use emotional intelligence
- BSBTWK502 Manage team effectiveness
Another 26 elective units are available:
- BSBCMM412 Lead difficult conversations
- BSBCRT512 Originate and develop concepts
- BSBFIN501 Manage budgets and financial plans
- BSBFIN502 Manage financial compliance
- BSBHRM522 Manage employee and industrial relations
- BSBHRM524 Coordinate workforce plan implementation
- BSBHRM531 Coordinate health and wellness programs
- BSBLDR521 Lead the development of diverse workforces
- BSBLDR522 Manage people performance
- BSBOPS501 Manage business resources
- BSBOPS503 Develop administrative systems
- BSBOPS504 Manage business risk
- BSBOPS505 Manage organisational customer service
- BSBPEF501 Manage personal and professional development
- BSBSTR501 Establish innovative work environments
- BSBSTR502 Facilitate continuous improvement
- BSBSTR503 Develop organisational policy
- BSBSUS511 Develop workplace policies and procedures for sustainability
- BSBTWK501 Lead diversity and inclusion
- BSBTWK503 Manage meetings
- BSBWHS521 Ensure a safe workplace for a work area
- BSBXBD501 Develop big data strategy
- BSBXCM501 Lead communication in the workplace
- BSBXDB501 Support staff members with disability in the workplace
- BSBXDB502 Adapt organisations to enhance accessibility for people with disability
- SIRXOSM007 Manage risk to organisational reputation in an online setting.
Management is a potential career path for many people. You're a potential candidate if you have good professional knowledge, work well with people, and have administration skills. Training will prepare you for roles such as:
- analysis and research activity (Head of Research)
- budget development (Finance Manager)
- customer services (Sales Team Leader)
- handling large projects (Project Leader)
- managing individual or team performance (Supervisor, Team Leader)
- marketing (Marketing Manager)
- plant and equipment (Facilities Manager)
- recruitment (HR Manager)
- workplace safety (Safety Manager).
Studying the management discipline only enhances your prospects. You'll learn the best management approaches from a diploma course, which can be invaluable early in your career.
Thinking like a manager is how you develop your skills in the workplace. The training helps you communicate strategies when going for jobs. You also can hit the ground running when moving up to a higher level.
A Diploma of Leadership and Management is a vocational education and training (VET) qualification designed to provide you with skills and knowledge to lead and manage teams and organisations effectively. The diploma is typically aimed at people who are already working in leadership or management roles or who aspire to move into such roles in the future.
The specific content of the course can vary, but it may include topics such as:
- Leadership theory and practice
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Conflict resolution
- Managing diversity and inclusion
- Financial management and budgeting
- Project management
- Risk management
- Continuous improvement and change management
The courses are usually offered by vocational education and training (VET) providers, such as TAFEs (Technical and Further Education institutions) and private colleges. They may be delivered online, in the classroom, or through a combination of both.
To enrol, you may need to have completed a Certificate IV qualification or have relevant work experience. However, some colleges have no entry requirements. The duration of the course can vary, but it is usually completed within 12-18 months. Upon successful completion, graduates may be eligible for advanced standing in degree programs at universities or other higher education institutions.
The diploma can provide you with the skills and knowledge needed to pursue a career in leadership or management in a variety of industries and settings. Some of the roles you could pursue include:
- Team leader
- Department manager
- Project manager
- Business owner
The specific job roles and responsibilities will depend on the industry you're working in, your level of experience, and your personal interests and strengths.
The BSB50420 diploma is a nationally recognised qualification in Australia that is offered by a number of institutions. It is designed to help students develop the skills and knowledge necessary to lead and manage teams effectively, as well as to plan and implement strategies to achieve organisational goals.
In addition to preparing you for senior roles, the diploma can help you develop skills that are valuable in many different career paths, such as communication, problem-solving, and decision-making. These skills can be applied in a wide range of industries, including business, healthcare, education, government, and non-profit organisations.
A leadership diploma can be a worthwhile investment in Australia. It can provide you with knowledge and skills to succeed in leadership roles across industries. In general, a diploma program in this field can cover topics such as communication, team building, strategic planning, and problem-solving, all of which are valuable skills for anyone aspiring to a leadership role.
The value of the diploma will depend on a number of factors, including the specific program you choose and the institution offering it, your career goals, and your existing education and experience. It's always a good idea to carefully research and compare different programs and institutions to find the one that best fits your needs and goals.
In addition, you may want to consider other factors, such as the cost of tuition and any potential financial aid options, as well as the program's accreditation and reputation in the job market. Ultimately, whether or not a diploma is worth it for you will depend on your individual circumstances and career aspirations.
There are a number of ways you can learn leadership skills from an online business course. Here are a few suggestions:
- Look for courses that specifically focus on leadership development. These courses may cover topics such as communication, decision-making, problem-solving, and conflict resolution.
- Pay attention to course materials that focus on real-world examples of leadership in action. These examples can help you understand how leadership skills are applied in various business situations.
- Seek out additional resources, such as podcasts, articles, and books, to supplement your learning. There are many resources available online that can help you further develop your leadership skills.
A leadership diploma course is specifically aimed at providing the tools you need to be an effective leader. Units may cover topics such as influential communication, managing workplace relationships, having difficult conversations, and managing people performance.
In Australia, a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) is a education and training provider that is registered by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) or a state or territory regulatory authority. RTOs are responsible for delivering vocational education and training (VET) programs, including certificate and diploma courses, as well as assessing and issuing nationally recognised qualifications. TAFEs, registered colleges and universities are examples.
RTOs can be public or private organisations, and they can offer training at various levels, including certificate I to IV, diploma, and advanced diploma. Some RTOs may also offer short courses or custom training programs for businesses or organisations.
To become registered as an RTO, an organisation must meet certain standards and requirements set by the relevant regulatory authority. This includes demonstrating that they have the necessary resources, systems, and processes in place to deliver high-quality training and assessment services. RTOs are subject to ongoing monitoring and review to ensure that they continue to meet these standards.