Australia's best online MBA programs in 2021 combine academic quality with convenient learning. You're able to build skills according to your own schedule.
- An online MBA offers the same benefits as a campus-based program. The course will challenge you intellectually, develop you professionally and improve your career prospects.
- Online MBA courses are also flexible and ideal for working professionals. You study according to your own weekly timetable.
- Affordability is a further advantage, with a cost range in Australia of $33k to $60k.
You can test an MBA online by doing 4 initial units, which earns you a Graduate Certificate in Business Administration. Continue with the program if the learning experience works for you. The best courses have high completion rates because they are engaging.
- Graduates are familiar with leadership, business, and management philosophies. These can be applied to almost any leadership role.
- Completing an MBA program signals interest and ambition in business development, strategy and management.
An MBA is a valuable credential to have on your resume. When you apply for any role that is complex and related to business, an MBA signals you are both capable and prepared to take on challenges. Where recruiters find it difficult to separate job candidates, an MBA can give you a decisive edge. ~ Just Business Today
The advantages of studying for an MBA degree by distance learning start with choice. An online MBA compares well against on-campus alternatives in many areas.
- You don't have to live near the business school. In fact, you can choose any online business school that will accept you, however far away. The MBA guide you're reading can help you make the best choice.
- You also don't have to travel to classes – an important time saver for students who want to combine study with work/family responsibilities.
- On line MBA courses offer flexible scheduling. Digital technology – such as online videos, animated tutorials, message boards and email – means you can work at your own pace. Any real-time aspects of the program, such as video conferencing, are often optional and/or can be completed from anywhere without having to make special arrangements.
- Online degrees can be accelerated or fast tracked by studying throughout the year. An online course MBA isn't bound to the usual campus schedule (i.e. 2-3 semesters per year, intense exam periods and a long summer break). You can work steadily through a program, finishing each unit quickly before taking a short break and moving onto the next one. Students feel like they are always accomplishing something.
- Online MBAs are also cheaper than on-campus ones. While universities often set the same tuition fees for online and on-campus courses, business schools specialising in distance education have lower tuition fees generally. Digital learning is a cost saver according to a report from Arizona State University Foundation and Boston Consulting Group,
Cheapest Online MBA in Australia
If you don't want to pay too much, Australia's cheapest MBA programs offer the best value for money. By "cheapest", we mean an Australian MBA that is both affordable and good quality.
We're not counting one or two "self-paced" MBAs, which offer minimal support and no regular classmates. Completion rates for these kinds of degrees are extremely poor.
Here's what we recommend for genuine value in 2021. These are the two cheapest MBA degrees according to the Good Universities guide. Each costs around $33k in total.
Southern Cross University
Southern Cross University (SCU Online) offers an affordable MBA that you do on a modern learning platform. The 100% online program has 6 start points per year and consists of a series of 7-week modules. You can choose the general program or major in: accounting, health services management, information and knowledge management, or managing and leading people. SCU Online programs are built just for distance learning, making for an easy and intuitive online learning experience.
UNE MBA (Data and Cyber Management)
One of the most industry-relevant MBA degrees is available from Australia's leading online university, the University of New England. UNE's MBA with a specialisation in Data and Cyber Management is designed for the managers of the future. It encompasses critical skills that all managers need in today’s digital economy. The 12-unit program covers financial management, business strategy, big data, the cyber mindset, digital operations, project management and leadership in practice. Students complete an industry project organised by UNE's education partner, Ducere Global Business School.
Online Study Australia presents good courses only and that's what we've done here. The best Master of Business Administration programs share some things in common.
- The programs are well priced, flexible and accelerated.
- Students benefit from advanced digital technology.
- Assessment is continuous and doesn't rely on exams.
The highest ranked MBA programs are ideal if you want to study business administration in an efficient, time-saving manner. Plus you'll earn a respected qualification from an Australian university.
James Cook University
Just about everything you could want in an online MBA program is offered by James Cook University. As you'd expect, the affordable program runs year-round – allowing you to finish quicker or, if you want, take a break at any time of year. Students focus on 1 unit at a time, which allows study to be combined with full-time work. You're also assigned a Student Success Advisor and can access everything you need via LearnJCU. The program offers the choice of 3 concentration areas: global perspective and strategy, data management and analytics, and organisational leadership.
Ducere Global Business School
Ducere Global Business School has been running an excellent MBA program for a number of years. Graduates receive an MBA degree from the Business School's university partner, Torrens University Australia. The program has strong claims to be Australia's best. Professional development revolves around doing real online projects in small teams.
You develop applied skills and form online connections with Australian businesses. The program provides a better learning model for mature-age students who: (a) want to develop real skills and (b) don't want to waste time on academic exams. Completion rates are fantastic, showing just how much students enjoy the activities.
University of Adelaide
The University of Adelaide’s online MBA brings the best of both worlds. You benefit from the experience, knowledge and insights of the prestigious Adelaide Business School. At the same time, students are afforded all the modern conveniences, such as 100% online study, 6-week teaching blocks, interactive learning opportunities and dedicated online support.
The curriculum is well thought out and rigorous. Students gain the tools to be able to confidently run a company, studying topics such as leadership, finance, marketing, innovation and entrepreneurship. Specialist streams are also available in the fields of health management and information technology.
Become a Responsible Leader
MBA studies give you the opportunity to develop your ability to be a responsible leader. Responsible leadership is about looking outward – beyond just narrow, short-term goals (Grahame Broadbelt).
Key themes in a responsible leadership course MBA are (i) considering all stakeholders, from customers through to regulators and social impact (ii) establishing sustainable business practices and (iii) having a global mindset.
Doing an MBA program gives you the mental space, and the conceptual and applied frameworks, to develop as a responsible leader. Students learn how to make decisions with big-picture considerations in mind.
Griffith MBA (Responsible Leadership)
An excellent way to learn responsible leadership is with the 100% online MBA offered by Griffith University. The 12-unit program has core values of responsible leadership, sustainable business practice and global orientation. Students learn a modern, progressive leadership style. The flexible MBA can be studied part-time, year-round. A graduate certificate (4 units) is also available within the program. Subjects include economics, finance, marketing, integrated accounting, people, strategy, and doing business across the Asia-Pacific region.
UK MBA for Australians on a Budget
Did you know that it's possible for Australians to do an MBA online with a UK university? The degrees are cheap when you compare them to their Australian counterparts and potentially bring great career value. What's more, you get study support that's based in Australia.
You can earn a 100% online MBA degree from the University of Wales Trinity Saint David or the University of East London. In each case, the cost is about half that for a similar Aussie MBA program.
A British MBA qualification could be a great addition to your CV. You'll also be able to promote the fact that you will have done an online industry project with a leading company or organisation in the UK.
University of Wales Trinity Saint David MBA
The University of Wales Trinity Saint David is offering a 100% online MBA to people based in Australia. The program is highly affordable, around $19k AUD, and includes a loan facility.
The MBA course is delivered in partnership with Melbourne-based Ducere Global Business School. Each student has the opportunity to do real project work with a leading company or other organisation from the UK. Key topics include global business challenges, HR management, marketing and financial management, digital entrepreneurship, and strategy. Assessment is regular and is done without traditional exams.
University of East London Executive MBA
Here's a way to simultaneously build new skills, advance your career, impress your friends, save time and save money. In partnership with Ducere Global Business School, the University of East London is offering an Executive MBA for students living in Australia. The 100% online program consists of 5 subjects and an industry project, and takes just 12 months to complete. Tuition fees are highly competitive and part scholarships are available. The program is open to students with a bachelor degree or extensive management experience.
Specialist online MBA degrees are available for technology managers. The programs are ideal for (a) general managers who oversee technology work and (b) IT professionals advancing into leadership and executive roles.
MBAs for technology managers limit the amount of technical content. As with other online MBA courses, the goal is to produce graduates with flexible leadership and business management skills.
The great advantage of doing an MBA, rather than an IT masters, is that the degree opens unlimited career opportunities. An MBA is a general leadership qualification.